Friday, February 25, 2011

Almond Milk, Sugar Cookie Tea and Snap Peas


In light of my recent education from a friend regarding Monsanto and bovine growth hormone ( I suggest you do some personal research on them), I’ve made the personal choice to only, for now, eat organic as much as I can, as well as eliminate milk completely. Until, we have the right and privilege in this country of adequate food labeling or until we demand that food be labeled genetically engineered and advised whether the animals were given hormones, I have to do the best I can as far as decisions.  Roughly Monsanto was responsible for Agent Orange and round up pesticide and now partakes in genetically engineering corn, soy, sugar beets, bovine growth hormones, cornering markets, aspartame, pharmaceuticals and causing Indian farmers to commit mass suicides and some other humanitarian endeavors. Enough testing has not been done to appease me that these products do no harm. Especially the bovine growth hormone, which is said to increase and cause cancer. Of note, former employees of Monsanto are heads of the FDA, USDA, and EPA…which means we are screwed in the A. Make what you will of that. So…I originally decided to switch to soy milk, but quickly decided against that due to the fact 95% of soy is Monsanto’s and I’ve heard it can throw off estrogen levels. I went with the almond milk, plain flavor, but the vanilla is out of this world, Blue Diamond- http://www.bluediamond.com/ -to be exact. It is delicious, I drink it straight from the carton, put it in cereal, make “milk” shakes with it…with only 60 calories and the abundance of protein, you can’t go wrong…except trying to use it in coffee in place of creamer, BIG MISTAKE. Here is a link for you to look up local harvests in your area. http://www.localharvest.org/search.jsp
I know it's not the holidays. I just want to give a shout out to Celestial Seasonings Sugar Cookie Herbal Tea, delicioso! I am an herbal tea fanatic; I already fully stock my house with the fruit flavor herbal teas. So, this was a treat indeed. Yes, it tastes just like a sugar cookie. It has the usual milk thistle, orange blossom, vanilla components except the added natural sugar cookie flavoring…whatever that is. I think I almost taste butter. It’s a possibility that you can find it, it may only come out during the holidays, I was fortunate enough to be given some. I am trying to conserve it, because it is that good, otherwise I will be up a creek without a cookie and have to wait until Christmas.
A bag of snap pea crisps have also found their way into my home. My overall opinion of them is a good one. However, I’m disappointed having expected a dehydrated vegetable, instead its involved with rice somehow and cooked into a “puff”.  I don’t want to speculate…So coincidently not that different from a cheese puff, in a sense it’s a carbohydrate ground up into a snack. These are a little healthier, not overly salty and have this nutty aftertaste that’s really good, if you like nuts. (That’s what she said)…and I do. http://www.snacksalad.com/products.html

No comments:

Post a Comment